Sunday, June 12, 2005

Love Conquers

I attended the alternate graduation in Howell yesterday. It was almost surreal. Never in my childhood would I have imagined that place to have been as welcoming and positive. Obviously there remains a great deal of the past in it’s current form but the currents of change run swift and strong and even the hardest rock will not win in the end. I was brought to tears a few times as eloquent speeches and honors were bestowed upon the three graduates who chose to stand up to hate.

I am amazed at the coverage that it has received. Obviously the local and regional press were in attendance but the coverage expanded past this to include many larger national papers and even an interview of one of the group on BBC.

Kate and I have discussed writing an article for BTL as well. It would be apropos for to alumni from there who are now out and active members of the LGBT community to do so, we thought.

All in all it think it is a good sign and an indication that though things are not always going our way the direction of change is ultimately in our favor. The future seems better every day.

No comments: