Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Good intentions...

Not wanting to waste the time off this week and still not having much more than two nickels to rub together I am working on finalizing the many home projects I had begun some time back before many of the things that have happened since then. (Many of those things you will note are not here within) At any rate I decided to add to my many list of tasks the slow drain in the bath room. There are those that claimed that it was due to my using the sink in the bath room as a utility sink. Being a somewhat obstinate sort I hold to the belief that the water soluble paint dissolved into the water and thus could not act to restrict the flow of water, but then what do I know I only have a degree in Chemical Engineering.

I digress...

"Suggest, Ask, Force."

Having already tried several forms of chemical persuasion to help clear the drain I determined that it was time for more persuasive measures. Hoping to trying something short of the brute force method I decided to remove the trap to see if there was anything blocking the flow. In doing so I simultaneously determined the cause of the problem, and made that problem irrelevant. In removing the trap the corroded connections broke. ...in replacing the pipe and connecting the wall drain (also broke in process) I determined the 6 some-odd inches of level drain leading into the wall was the primary cause to the slow drain. Concessions to the fact that there had to be material to build up to cause a blockage in the first place but, given that I doubt greatly, much had been done in years in the way of preventive maintenance this was a problem that had its due.

After much swearing and a couple of trips to the Home Depot I hope to have this one task off my list.

No comments: