Tuesday, April 19, 2005

random thoughts

I've only been at my new job a week and there are already little things that bug me. First is my co-worker. He is Indian or Pakistani or something of that like, and while I don’t have anything against foreign nationals or Hindi type peoples it bugs me that they, by and large, seem to completely lack the understanding of certain nuanced cultural norms here in the USA. I asked for help on an issue this afternoon, because as I was told he had more experience than most others in this particular matter, and therefore, would be logically the most appropriate source for information. Unfortunately he was only capable of telling me how to do it for his particular cases and was unable to explain why, or why not, a certain piece of information was needed. Further he was befuddled when I asked for further clarification as to what the rational behind some of his direction was. I surmise that he merely guessed and it has, heretofore, worked for him. Let’s hope it works for me. Secondly there is the matter of travel. My current situation requires that I provide prior notice of my intent to leave the state and so I have already do so with respect to a trial to be run at a supplier in Ontario. Unfortunately the aforementioned co-worker has taken the lead on scheduling and all last week did not provide a firm date, save that it would be the latter part of this week. Yesterday it was this Thursday and/or Friday. This afternoon it has been rescheduled to next week at a date to be determined. There is the issue of the location of the run – Concord, ON – which is part of metropolitan Toronto. In the e-mail, again from said co-worker, he stated outside of Windsor, a difference of more than two hundred miles. I could scream. Add to that the lack of a computer all last week, no access to voicemail yet and all major economic signs that lead me to believe I could be laid off any day and it isn’t the place to be. So yes auntie I am still looking.

No comments: