Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Come down from the Mountain

In the last week there have been a number of reviews of Brokeback Mountain that have gotten some attention, or that I've notice at the least. The obvious one that comes to mind is that of Gene Shalit wherein he referred to Jack as a "sexual predator", who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts". While I don't accept the premise that Jack coaxed Ennis into anything I do agree somewhat with the sexual predator title. At least that is during the scene of their first sexual experience. While I will concede there was some allusion to a growing attraction between the two prior to that night I couldn't help feel the first time the two had sex the initiator was clearly Jack and I personally felt that Ennis appeared as though he not only wanted nothing to do with what Jack was pursuing that he was on the verge of assaulting Jack to prevent what was about to happen. Of course that is until he flipped Jack, spit on his hand, and had his way with him. Not one of the finer acting scenes I've ever watched. I just didn't buy what had happened. "Predator" is a perfect description of how it appeared to me at the time; for that scene. I will concede that shortly thereafter, as the movie proceeded, their relationship evolved as it could in the time and place that they were in. That part of the movie I felt was a great depiction of how a relationship between two men might have been for the era.

Of course Shalit has issued an apology. In this I am torn between accepting that he didn't mean any harm, and as such can concede that if there were those that were hurt or offended then by right there should be an apology, and asking why anyone was offended. Granted I may be in the minority in concurring with the predator label, even if for just a period, anyone who actually saw the Shalit review on the Today show and who knows his style should have agreed that it was done without malice. Shalit has a rather wry sense of humor, watch the other reviews of the week and I think you'll see what I mean. Besides look at the man, does he look like a man who should be taken completely serious? Really people?!?

It is, in my opinion, yet another example where the GLBT community has it's hissy fit over yet another trite matter, again losing sight of the forest for the trees. We end up being a bunch of whiney cry babies anytime we get a paper cut.

Any movie like this, that breaks new ground on subject matter that is less than fully embarrassed by a full majority of society is bound to have strong reactions for or against. Leonard Pitts, true to his style has clearly come out in defense of the movie and has taken those whose comments were less than educated to task. Long an outspoken ally of the community he uses his strong power of the written word to defend the movie and continue his fight of discrimination.

The review that I like the most comes by way of Vogue and NPR's Fresh Air. Reviewing the movie and defending it, John Powers, addresses some of the reasons for the reactions to this movie and puts it in a light that perhaps is closer to truth than some would admit. Take the time to listen.

No comments: