Sunday, January 15, 2006

Memoirs of a Fictionalist

I've had this feeling, or recurring thought, that many of the blogs I read are somewhat removed from the realm of reality. Particularly those that portend to be actual accounts of an individual's life and their sexual adventures. I will concede that some stories may be based upon actual events I cannot help but question the frequency and intensity of those events.

I had thought that maybe it was just me. Inasmuch as I haven't really been doing anything even close to the scale of their adventures I have thought it is entirely possible the stories are true. But really are there that many Brian Kinney's out there? Probably not.

A really juicy story will be read by far more people than those less intriguing (regrettably I would put this blog into the latter category). You can see that in the case of James Frey's A Million Little Pieces. It's based on actual events at best. A memoir where the actual details have been grossly exaggerated or altogether fabricated. At least that is some of the events have received a make over. The problem with this selective treatment is the absolute truth and the gussied up version become indistinguishable. You no longer know what is or is not and need to decide what to take as fact or fiction.

It is understandable in the case of Frey why you may want to embellish the story to help increase sales. In that vein nothing helps to increase sales more than sex. So it would make sense that the sex would likely be more memoir than biographical. Oh I know there is little in the way of financial incentive to do this but if you think people won't go t ascertain lengths just to get a few more hits on their site you clearly haven't be in the blogosphere much.

The ranking, rating and reviewing that goes on feeds the egos of many a blogger. Even more there is some money to be made with Google Ads or other third party links from the blog. All of that said I don't know that I want them to change one bit.

I have felt some push to be more creative in my own blogging but I suppose that to be creative does not need to mean becoming fictional or graphic - not that there would be much anyway but still.

Ok so I'm rambling at this point so good night...

No comments: