Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Actually I've never liked Pink

It has happened. This afternoon my director came over to my desk and asked if he could speak with me. Odd because he does not have an office in my building but not unreasonable because his employees do and our relationship is such that this would not be out of order. We step into one of the managers offices where he introduces me to our HR manager. Still I am thinking what is the problem that he needs my knowledge about. Or does this have something to do with the e-mail I sent out earlier in the day that stated I do not have the responsibility to do something requested of me (I thought that because I noticed he read the e-mail almost immediately when he usually doesn't in the same day.) Couldn't be that... As HR offers a chair (this isn't her office mind you) I notice a form letter on the table were we sit. A promotion?!? I'll admit I am overdue for a promotion but the timing is all wrong so nope. They've found out about other issues?!? Nah, that could be but isn't likely... So what then? As I sit and look to my director the words on the letter I had glanced a second before came into view in my mind and finally registered "severance".

"Dave" says my boss, the same man who was once my customer and equal, "we've got some bad news. There has been some cut backs and we are going to have to let you go."

Oh that's all.... Why all the drama? Don't you thin you could have at least done me the favor of letting me sleep in today?!? Wouldn't it have been better if you had waited until I was half way to Mexico to tell me? I thought this was something serious. As HR went through the package they were offering me the only thought going on in my head was, "Wow, this Paxil really does work." I couldn't believe it. I sort of wanted to cry but I couldn't. I think I even manage to crack a joke.

Seriously though I was panicking and scared but my outward demeanor never betrayed that. You say many things about the way I handled myself during many occasions at that place but for sure I went out with class.

I wish I could have had more time to grant my good-byes and leave a few choice words for a few of my now former co-workers by alas it was not to be. So good-bye, good luck and just because you have activated your turn indicator doesn't automatically grant you the right to get into the lane next to you.

It's a small world and a smaller industry, I'll see you all soon. In the mean time...

Know that you're loved,

D

No comments: