Thursday, October 06, 2005

Beware Internet Scams!!!

First things first. YES I haven’t been writing that much of late. Can you blame me? I haven’t had much of interest to say, preferring to focus my energies to mere survival rather than trying to be creative and add something of some value to the blog-o-sphere. There isn’t much in the way of readership for my blog as it is so the last thing I want to do is bore you. However I can appreciate the fact that should I wish to increase such a following I might need to add some relevant content on a more regular basis. I really would like to but you know me, I want it to be perfect and yet fail because it isn’t. I’m learning that if I merely try it will be better than what I would have producing otherwise. So with that…

Here is a quick update on an ongoing drama that seemed like a good thing. But like they say, “If it’s seems to good to be true, it probably is.”

I placed an add on Craig’s List to rent a room out of my house and had what sounded like an ideal roommate. “She” was purported from the Netherlands and working in the UK. We communicated a little via e-mail and seemed like a decent person. She indicated that she would be sending me the deposit for the room and additional for moving expense. Now right there I should have had all kinds of bells and whistles going of but hey, I’m a trusting kind of guy. When the deposit did arrive they were in the form of Money Orders from Wal*Mart, which further added to the puzzle because I did not expect 1.) Money orders and 2.) Wal*Mart in the UK?!?. Hey stranger things have happened, so I went with it. The next part is where I started to feel a bit funny about the whole thing but, again I went with it because if it worked out that this was just a naïve girl that thought this was the best way to do something then so be it. If not well, trust but verify. “She” – I use that because I don’t know anymore – wanted me to send on the money for her moving expenses to some guy back in the UK. This is, like I’ve said, where I really started to feel a touch uneasy. Luckily, despite her requests to expedite the money via Western Union, I did nothing or the sort and rather waited until the hold had cleared from the bank. THIS IS WERE YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION!!! Just because the hold clears doesn’t mean the money is really there, and when it turns out the money orders are counterfeit the bank will gladly withdrawal the money right back out of your account. Luckily for me I did not send the money the very instant it cleared hold, although I almost did, and I am only out time and potential revenue and not any real money. Unfortunately, I really could have used the added income but then I guess I just need to be more stringent about my spending for a bit longer.

Anyway, I am sure it is a fake address or something but should anyone want to pay one Mr. James Bosse, 5 Beaufort Street, London, England W6 3EA a visit please send him (or her) my regards. The local police were not really interested because I did not loose any money, but I did look into the FTC to try to add to the list of charges should this person ever get caught. Not a likely thing but again just in case.

So I guess that means I will have to redo my ad and be a touch more diligent when accepting offers. Look for more as I am sure the whole thing will be a bit of an adventure.

‘til then

Know that you’re loved,

D

“Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of all of those things and still be calm in your heart.” Unknown

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This happened to me- same address.. 5 Beaufort Street. I saw this for a scam immediately (wire money--- YA RIGHT!) so I just decided that I was going to mess with this person, and I did!!

let me know if you want to know more: tahmassian at gmail dot com