Friday, March 18, 2005

Why men earn more than women

An interesting read. I would be curious to learn how the statistics stack up given the above considerations. I for one cannot see how women get paid less than men these days. The only consideration is that while there are salary bands for any job and everyone of that band must fit within, there is little keeping the employers from trying to push some to the low end to balance others at the big end. If a man is more assertive or requests a higher salary it would be to the employer's benefit to have someone at the low end and if that happens to be a women then so be it. I know that I have the bias of being male but I do not think that an employer would intentionally single out a woman for lower income. These days that just doesn't make good business. There are always victims and you can make a statistic say whatever you wish. Let's hope soon we can get past these issues and on to other more pressing matters.

No comments: